Monday, June 24, 2013

Lisa's Turning me Back into a Nerd

As I walk down the street now-a-days, something happens that hasn’t happened to me since the 90s.  People stop and tell me how cool my shirt is, ask me where I got my shirt, or go about telling me a memory sparked by the shirt.

Fact is, back in high school, I wore nerdy shirts.  From Wolverine to the house crests from the A Game of Thrones novels, I enjoyed sporting the shirts based in the books and comic books I read.  I would always sport some kind of shirt that meant something to me.  The last one I bought, before meeting Lisa, was from Princess Mononoke, a wonderful anime movie.


After that, I started just enjoying solid color shirts.  Most of the time, I’d wear green to match my eyes, or orange because I could pull it off.  The cool ‘nerdy’ kind of shirts became the shirts I’d wear around the house, but never out.  I wore these solid color Ts just tucked in and loose.  People moved from pointing out how cool my shirt was to how nice I looked.

It was an interesting modification.  I started taking more interest in how I looked and feeling better about my self esteem.  I felt like people were noticing me for me.  I know, it seems silly, but it was quite an interesting turn of events as I was hoping to fade back into the obscurity of life, especially as, during that time, I was living a very long way from where I was born.

So then, somewhere along the way, I met Lisa, fell in love, and my entire life changed.  As many people do, she found my ‘nerdy’ traits a bit endearing.  She even started embracing some of these traits, taking them upon herself.  But mainly, she started trying to pull them out of me more....

After two years in a relationship with her, my closet is once again filled mostly with screen printed shirts.  Some of them have an edge to them, which her and I both love.  We are constantly on the search for really amazing shirts, but she’s also added shirts to my selection that I never thought I’d get back to.  A Star Wars shirt, an Evil Dead shirt, even a Darkwing Duck shirt (which I love).

Lisa has even got us matching Batman shirts, and matching Nightmare Before Christmas shirts....  Her recently finding The Big Bang Theory on tv (and us buying all of them on Blu Ray) has sparked her interest in nerd like shirts even more.

Its an interesting thing to look at your life, and how in certain areas you come full circle.  I never thought I’d ever go back to the T-Shirts I wear now, but the fact is, Lisa enjoys my youthful imagination, and loves me in these shirts.  It is hard to resist getting shirts that so remind me of a more imaginative time, a more fun time in everyone’s life.

In the end, it displays how fun our relationship is, how youthful and imaginative our love for each other is.  Its also quite wonderful to embrace the people that we are.  But above all, its nice to see people pointing at our shirts and telling us how cool they think our shirts are.  Such a simple thing, but...it brings smiles to other people’s lives, and who doesn’t want a few more smiles around them?

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage