Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Life as an Individual

One of the best things in life is being different, but its also one of the hardest things you could ever try to do.  I know, because I went out of my way to be different, to be myself, and the ridicule and flack I got from it, will haunt me the rest of my life.

There are no good role models for individuality.  Most who are revered for being such, have gone to the extremes.  I never went to any extremes, I simply was who I was and am who I am.  I don’t apologize for it, because its others who should apologize to me for trying to pull me into the herd.



As much as all of us rally against the ‘sheeple’ we still have to follow the herd to some extent to live here.  But we do not have to adopt the herd mentality.  We can learn to think for ourselves, and make our own decisions in life.  Like who to love, and who to hate.

There is a HUGE battle raging over the people who hate the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people, and the hatred of the haters.  My stance on the whole thing is, “Why should I care what my neighbor does that I don’t know about?”  As long as it doesn’t harm anyone else, why should anyone care?

All I did was grow my hair long, and the ridicule I got out of my home state has been enough to make me seethe with hatred at the sheer ignorance that comes out of the hatred of those that are different.  I can only imagine what it would have been like if I had not been wired to enjoy sex with a woman....  Yeesh.....

The fact is, some people are different.  Some people want to show that they are different.  My step-daughter is now a hero of mine, because she goes so far out of her way to be herself.  Sometimes she has to be reined in a bit, but yeah, she’s creative, and expresses it in every way she can.  From colored hair with crazy cuts, or outfits from a different time period or country.

The fact that she’s expressing so much during highschool has to lead to the ridicule.  Highschool kids are quick to ridicule anything they are jealous of, but not brave enough to try.  There’s something about fitting in that pushes other people out further to the fringes.  Once you get out of highschool, individuality is celebrated by some, but still not all.  Never by all....

I’m proud to say that I live in a household of people who aren’t sheep, that make their own decisions about everything.  My wife and I have wonderful discussions about all manor of things, which is quite amazing.  We are three completely different individuals here, which is so much more of an enlightening place to live than outside the doors of the house.

The fact that people are different from you, doesn’t make them crazy, or not worth knowing, in fact it’s the opposite.  Those that want to blend in with the crowd are the crazy ones, the ones not worth knowing.  I’m met many of the sheep in my life, and they seem to enjoy the ride to the inevitable slaughter.  They keep hold of their failing beliefs even as the axe is coming for their neck.

This society will destroy almost anyone.  You have to be brave, strong, interesting, and humble.  Yet most of all, you have to be an individual.  Why?  Because life isn’t about living in society, its about LIVING!!!!  Being who you are and enjoying it all.  And if you don’t know who you are, truly who you are, then how can you possibly judge, ridicule, or even care about what anyone else does or thinks?

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage