Monday, September 1, 2014

A Return to College

For those of you who don't know, Lisa and I have returned to college.  Its one of the main reasons her and I vanished for so long with the blog, as we've been trying everything we could to stay afloat financially, while trying to decide what our future will hold.  Anyways, periodically I'm gonna through my essays and work online onto the blog just for the fun of it.

Our first assignment in English Comp 1, was to write an essay over our first day/week of college, picking an event and showing what it meant to you.  It was more of a participation grade, as we had to read other people's papers in class and tell the class what we got out of it.  Here is my essay, entitled A Return to College.

--


I honestly never thought I’d see another first day of school.  When I left high school, oh so many years ago, the one emotion I felt about college was dread.  I honestly did not understand why I was reentering one school after leaving another.  But then, I did not really understand what life was all about.  Every day was a struggle with doubt, coupled with the lack of understanding, and the entire experience was nothing but a learning experience, showing me that my goals, dreams, and aspirations were unrealistic.

Most people want others to be ashamed, or completely regret leaving college.  Honestly, I never did either, because I was shown what I did not want to do with my life.  But I always regretted never going back.  And now, finally, I am back.

Perhaps I was quite a bit shyer in my youth, even though I still feel shy deep down.  I don’t feel intimidated anymore by the social conjectures that come with high school or what immediate follows it.  I look around me and I see all manner of people from all walks of life, and I wonder if and when I’ll meet friends.  I only wish I could be at the campus more, as being a commuter, and only being here three days a week will surely exclude me from many of the organizations and events that I would love to be a part of.

It helps that all my teachers are easily approachable.  In my first college, the classes were far larger, and most of the teachers had written their own books.  I am willing to bet that more than half of my old teachers I never said a word to.  Yet now, I find it hard not to speak out in class, especially when everyone is being shy and quiet.  I’m always quick with a story and want to tell the teacher after class if it honestly has nothing to do with the class itself.  I want to take knowledge from them, whereas before, I just hoped I would pass….

All in all, my first day, even my first week has been an amazing experience.  For the first time, in a very long time, I feel like I’m completing a goal in a far grander scheme of life.  Maybe life has shown me I don’t need to be as serious and introverted as I was before.  Maybe my experiences have shown me that teachers aren’t something that I should be intimidated by, as they are just people, with their own stories, and hopes, and dreams.  Maybe the fact that my heart has settled down has caused me to truly enjoy my time among others who want to learn and grow outside of what working in a factory will teach them.

Or maybe, just maybe, this is a great campus, full of great teachers and students whom I’m just enjoying getting to know.  I know I’m not afraid now, to work hard for what I want, to take chances and risks.  The one thing I am certain of, is that I am going to cease this opportunity and turn this great first week into a great many weeks as they come.

--

All in all, she didn't mark too much on the work, I mispelled Seize as Cease, ugh....  One part needs revision, and some sentences could use better work.  Her comments make me realize I still need to work on 'long sentences.'  My main issue is, I can never truly edit my own work.  Hopefully I can work on that over time.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed this essay I did for class!  Any comments you want to make on it?

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage