Friday, August 17, 2012

Bad Cop, Horrible Cop


To serve and protect.  Words synonymous with the police force.  But I’ve often wondered about police themselves.  They are normally so feared by the public and such an avenue of corruption.

Now I fully admit, I’ve met some good and great cops.  I’ve know some that I knew I could call on and trust.  But I’ve also known the opposite.  I’ve met good for nothing cops that cast a shadow of shame across law enforcement in general.

There was a great movie line, from one of my favorite movies of all time, if not my all time favorite, The Chase , that stated how the only people cops come in contact with, on a day to day basis, is the worst of society.  Pimps, pushers, liars....  Soon you start feeling everyone is that way.  And this I see the most of.  Sometimes a cop will automatically think the worst in someone, for whatever reason, and treat them like a criminal when that someone doesn’t deserve it.

I admit, sometimes that’s a good policy, but sometimes they can come off rigid and exasperate the situation into a ‘situation.’  I was once pulled over for speeding, as the officer approached the window, I rolled it down, greeted him, took off my seatbelt, and he then said, “Where is your seatbelt?”  He proceeded to give me a ticket, though I took off the seatbelt right before his eyes....  How could anyone not be inflamed by this?

And then there’s the lazy cops, that have a position of authority and are completely unavailable.  Here in the town I currently live in, most people know the chief of police is worthless.  He’s on salary, but is never available.  He’s said on occasion in public that he will not have his cell phone by him all the time.  He’s told a citizen that he turns his radio off when on patrol....  He’s completely unreachable, yet he’s the chief of police.  There are so many what-if scenarios that I can come up with off the top of my head that would show his actions are irresponsible.

There have been a rash of burglaries in this town, its almost an epidemic, yet the police force is not available.  Noone can even report these incidents, so they go completely unchecked....  Rumors circulate that the police chief is warning people who have warrants to hide from the authorities, but that is ‘just a rumor.’

So what do you do if you have a bad cop in town, and the mayor doesn’t care?  What can you do about a cop being belligerent besides simply take it?  I honestly feel sorry for the good cops out there, because there is no way they can rise above the bad of their profession and gain the trust of the public whom they serve, and are sworn to protect.  All I know for sure is, this town is not safe, by a long shot, but at least the cop cars are brand new and look all pretty.  (Newest cop car was previously only used in parades, just a Dodge Charger with flashy lights. *sigh*)

–Dan

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage