Monday, September 15, 2014

A 38 Year Old College Student

I’m shocked at how much college has changed since I last when to it.  Of course, 1994 was 20 years ago, but still, I never thought it would change so much.  Part of me wonders if I just didn’t notice the things I love about school now because I was so blinded by trying to survive, but after talking to my friends, I don’t think that is the case….

It seems a million years ago when I stepped on the Austin campus of the University of Texas.  A million years and a day.  I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I was giving some things a shot, and it just didn’t work out.  I was naïve.  I picked something and just decided to go with it, truly the wrong decision.  To this day I do not regret my decision to walk away from college, in fact it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

That being said, I wish I could have finished.  My life would have been so much different in so many ways, but I wouldn’t be who I am if I wouldn’t have chased after the dreams I chased.  I found myself somewhere out there, in the mountains of North Carolina, I found my soul, I found my true calling.

If living my life to the fullest is a calling….

Art, passion, drive, inspiration.  They all sprang up within me, and for the first time I felt truly alive.  But something was always missing.  Education.

So here I am, Northeastern State University in Tahlequah Oklahoma.  What a journey it has been, and as I’ve said, so much has changed.  Some things haven’t, though.

College students are still college students, even if I’m twenty years older than a high percentage of the population.  Dreamers, they are an inspiration, even when they have no clue what they are doing besides learning.  It’s funny to see how they are so full of hope because they haven’t met with the crushing defeat that life wants to deal everyone.

But what has changed is the most amazing change I have ever seen.  Involvement.  There are over 80 student organizations here, so many ways to get involved with something.  From things to completely nerd out over, to ways to get involved in the community, to things that will look freakin’ awesome on a resume.

Every day we drive in, I’m excited for what the day holds every time.  Whether it’s just relearning things I have done before, to learning new things that I have always wondered about, to even getting involved in something I never thought I’d ever be able to be involved in. 

Tonight, as I write this, I’m sitting in the library, killing time before the first Underground Graphics Society meeting of the year.  It’s a small group, but they are dedicated to graphics art in all its formats, and help their members get into a yearly competition in Dallas.  Its rekindling my interest in Photoshop, even as I’m just sitting here typing away on Word.  I’m stoked, I’m amazed, I’m a thirty-eight year old college student having an absolute blast.

The days Lisa and I aren’t here, we are looking at the calendar seeing the things we are missing out on by living so far away.  Going into this adventure, I thought it was just going to be another chore for the future.  I knew going in with Lisa would make it so much more fun, so much easier, but taking part in events, getting involved in organizations is a facet of college that is completely unexplainable.  Even though making good friends has been a chore, (we have met several interesting people that we’re not really getting close to), we feel more social than we have since we got married.


Life is an amazing series of events of learning and growing.  And now here I am, in a college library, typing a blog post.  What a life.  What an amazing life.  The next step?  Post this and go get artistically creative!

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage