Monday, July 8, 2013

My Soul Mate

The concept of a ‘soul mate’ is an interesting one to talk about.  There are so many ideas and folk lore associated with it.  Mom wanted me to watch a movie called Made in Heaven the other day, and though I did not like the movie, I loved the concept, as it portrayed why some people fall in love, get married, and then it just doesn’t work out.

The problem with the movie was it skipped around too much to truly follow, and had moments that were obviously important, but never really explained them.  I saw that it was made from a book, so I figured the only way to really appreciate the movie was to have read the book.


But all this is beside the point.  The movie was about someone falling in love in Heaven, where they were pure souls.  One was pulled to Earth, the other followed to find and fall in love with her.  The rules were they had 30 years to find each other, or they’d both be miserable forever.  They both went wildly different ways, the girl fell in love, had a marriage that just didn’t work out, (mainly because her video producing husband didn’t have an imagination, which makes little to no sense....).

All around me, all my life, I’ve seen marriages that just didn’t work out because the people were just too different on the soul level.  It makes sense stated that way.  How many people fall in love based on superficial needs and then just ‘deal’ with everything later.

Lisa and I only have two major gulfs, she can’t do sci/fi because she got burnt out on it with her first husband, and video games, for pretty much the same reason.  Its sad, as there are so many stories and fun she’s missing out on, but he did such a thorough job its hard to get her to enjoy such things in any way.  She’ll never know how much it hurts my soul that she’s so closed off to things I know she’d enjoy if she’d just try.

In the end, Lisa is so happy to have found me, she claims that she’s more happy to have found me than I am happy to have found her.  She’s simply sitting back and enjoying the heck outta life, and all its possibilities.  And that is probably the largest joy I have.  Most of what occurred earlier in her life will stay secret forever, but the sheer joy she has now in life cannot be kept secret from anyone.

Our relationship has gotten us both back on the subject of soul mates.  I believed in them earlier in my life, but so many experiences just beat it out of me.  I know it came from Hercules or Xena, but in one of the shows they talked about the Gods created everyone with 2 heads, 4 arms, 4 legs, and 1 soul.  Zeus threw down a bolt and split everyone in half.  1 head, 2 arms, 2 legs, and half a soul.

I remember catching that episode (really by chance as I’ve only seen like 4 episodes of Hercules and never a full episode of Xena...) and putting my own spin on it.  How everyone has half a soul, and they just go around finding people that kinda fit into the hole, but they don’t fit the picture, or vice versa.  Its hard not to relate the soul to puzzle pieces when you think of missing part of yourself.

In the end, I’ve had moments where I’ve seen a woman and time has stood still.  I’ve fallen in love numerous times, only to find out I was horrendously wrong and even more wrong for trying to make it work.  I’ve put up with all kinds of stuff from all kinds of wonderful and hideous women hoping it would somehow work out.  Nothing in my life compares to what Lisa put up with in her last marriage, but in the end, somehow, we survived through both of our experiences, divested ourselves of the relationships on the same day, and somehow found each other nine months later....

Life works in crazy ways.  It always has, and it always will.  We both went through our own tests in life and passed in our own ways.  And all of it was to get us ready for each other.  It’s a fun thought to think her and I have been in love before, in another life, maybe in Heaven.  I just like how our love is so amazing right now, that knowing that it ‘could’ span across time and space doesn’t diminish it in the slightest....

At one point in life I believed in soul mates....  Then life beat the idea from me.  But now that I’ve met Lisa, I know that soul mates do exist, and I couldn’t be happier.

Bloggers.com

A Brainless Nod - Find me on Bloggers.com

BlogCatalog

Blog Nation

Writing Blogs

World Bloggers Community

BumpIn

powered by
Bumpin

ReadABlog

Blog Search Engine

RSS and Link Directory

Blogdash

prchecker.info

Alexa

Select

Infolinks

RSStop10

RSS Feed Directory - Search and read RSS Feeds without any RSS reader.

Plazoo

RSS Search

Blogroll

Submit Blog & RSS Feeds

Blogdigger

Facebook Fanpage